- Greet the guests with a welcoming smile as they arrive.
- Direct guests to the drinks/canapes reception.
- Call guests into the Meal/Burns’ Supper etc.
- Organise a “Grand Entrance” for the President/Chairman and his/her partner and lead them to their places at the Top Table.
- Recite Selkirk Grace before meals, if required.
- Announce any special wine-takings during the meal.
- Have any gifts ready for presentation during speeches.
- Introduce the speechmakers e.g. Toast to the Lassies and the Lassies’ Response at a Burns’ Supper. Give them advice, if required.
- Give the Immortal Memory of Robert Burns.
- Sing some Scottish Songs and encourage the assembled company to join in on a sing-a-long.
- ‘Call’ some simple Scottish dances e.g. Gay Gordons, Dashing White Sergeant etc. using his own P.A. System.
- Endeavour to keep the proceedings running smoothly and on time.
- Organise the singing of “Auld Lang Syne” at the conclusion of the event and wish everyone a “very safe journey home”.
“We have been employing Glen and his piper, for our annual Burns Night Supper for well over ten years now and have no hesitation in booking them both for the following year before the current year’s event has even finished! Glen’s professionalism and great sense of humour always ensure that everyone present (invariably well over 120 people each year) has a great evening and can’t wait to return twelve months later – many thanks Glen!”
Simon Edmands, Rotary Club of Leatherhead.
Thank you so much for a fantastic evening. Everyone really enjoyed themselves including myself. Several people in the company said it was the best Ensco Burns’ dinner ever! That is saying something. You have left a pleasant memory with everyone. I will keep in contact and notify you of any other events that we will have in the future.
Kind regards Ethleen Figaro | Executive Assistant)
Just to say thank you for everything you did to make our Burns Supper such a resounding success!! It was a fabulous evening – we had a photographer in attendance and once he has added the photos to his website I will send you the link.
With kind regards,
John Freestone, Clerk, The Worshipful Company of Paviors, London Guildhall.
I would like to express our sincere thanks for making our Burns’ Supper such a success. The Piper and the lovely Highland Dancers from your Entertainment Agency were wonderful and everyone said how much they enjoyed their performances.
And of course, you yourself, who took charge of the evening reciting the Selkirk Grace, the full “Address to the Haggis” and finishing off with your superb cabaret of songs and clean patter comedy. I have been to many Burns’ Suppers, but the one on the 23rd January was by far the best due to you and your team. If I need anything like this in the future, you will be the first on my list. Thank you once again.
Derek Partridge, Cole Court Masonic Centre Twickenham, Middlesex.